Friday, December 27, 2013

Time to stop thinking you're the only one that matters


When it comes to the holidays, all i can do is remember the things my mother always took the time to teach me. 

Sitting in the McDonalds at LAX Monday morning, I noticed a couple looking for a spot to sit so they could enjoy their meal. 

As I was sitting alone, I offered them the bench across from me, showing them a gesture not many others spoke up to give. 

As the woman told me how gracious I was, I reminded her "'Tis the season not to think about yourself". 

To me, I don't mind sharing a booth in a crowded eatery with strangers. This is the season where you look to help others out, and that's something I definitely wanted to do. 

As I sit here typing this, Celine Dion's "Because you loved me" began playing over the airport PA, bringing me to tears. 

The things my mother taught have lived with me since she put them in my head, and I will do what I can to make sure my child knows how to conduct themselves. 

Traveling is definitely something not many people can do with ease, but I look at a lot of the things I do and give thanks that I am able to do what I can. 

I give thanks that I was raised how I was, and that I am able to enjoy life as I am. 

My mother is a family martyr - she died to show us how strong we could be, and now more than ever I see that. I see how strong she made my brother and I. 

I see how strong the bond we forged as children is now, regardless of what we may have said from time to time. 

If life was easy, everyone would be a millionaire. But it's not. Life shows us how grateful we should be, how much we should cherish every moment and enjoy all that we can. 

It always seems to me that the airport brings out the thoughtful side in me. I'm always looking to help someone else out, as much as I can. Maybe it's all I learn day buy day while at Trader Joe's, but dealing with people just seems to get easier when you've got a smile on your face. 

I definitely am proud of where I came from, and will never forget the things I was taught, regardless of how long it's been since I was taught those things. 

Don't forget where you came from. That's when you'll truly lose yourself. 

No comments: